Preparing the Congregation
Developing relationships in the community and reaching people for Christ requires a major commitment from volunteers in the congregation. The following steps can help prepare congregations:
- Begin With Much Prayer
- Sharing the Vision of the Need
- Explaining the Program
- Recruiting Volunteers
- Training the Workers
- Prayer is the key to finding and obeying God's will as a congregation.
- What seems like an impossible task can become a reality with prayer.
- Pray that God will give a vision and burden of the lost to your church.
- Pray that God will convict the hearts of the people in the community.
- Pray that God will guide in the selection of a strategy that will give long-term results in the community.
2: Sharing the Vision
- Sharing the vision of the lost involves a process in which the pastor must lead the congregation to the awareness that everyone needs the Savior.
- A congregation will not engage in evangelism until it recognizes the great need.
- Preparation may take many weeks in order to bring the congregation to the point of readiness to fulfill the Great Commission.
3: Explaining the Program
- Show the JESUS Video to the congregation. This will help them understand the spiritual impact of the video.
- Give successful examples of churches that have used the JESUS Video to reach their communities.
4: Recruiting Volunteers
- Preach a message on the needed commitment of each member to fulfill the Great Commission.
- Pass out commitment cards* (see below for text possibilities) to the congregation and collect them after they have had time to fill them out.
- Announce a meeting time for all who would are interested in participating.
Print version of this card (PDF, 801KB)
5: Training the Workers
- It may be good to set weekly meetings at a convenient time to meet with all of the volunteers for JESUS Video evangelism. Keep the same time each week.
- Use the training hour for information and inspiration about the evangelistic effort.
- All aspects of the strategy should be learned and rehearsed.